12/06/2006

on writing

I write for personal whim, not for blood, guts, or glory.

I write because I can, and it is something that I seem to be good at, as opposed to something I'm merely mediocre in.
I write so that I feel like I'm doing something worthwhile, and not just procrastinating, which is something that I am good at.

I write in order to understand, in order to make some sense of the world around me.
I write in order to understand, myself, my motivations, my reasons why.

I write as proof that I am alive, instead of just existing, a walking dead man, an animated hulk of flesh.
I write so that the world can hear what I say, and I don't particuarly care if nobody is listening.

I write to clear my head, 'cos I think that by clearing my head, I empty my soul.
I write to excorsize my demons, the bad, dark parts of my brain where mad things sleep.

I write, not because I have passion for it, but because, despite everything I have, this is all I've got.

And that is a small truth.

1 comment:

Rhyme over Reason said...

Written in response to someone asking me why I write, and I found out that I had no real, clear answer to that.

Well, maybe this is my answer. Or my excuse.