15/01/2007

on falling in love (or lust) at first sight

Was on the train when I saw HER. There she was; petite brunette, bangs covering her left eye, idly flipping through her 'phone and watching the scenery go by. She was beautiful, a vision of loveliness gracing me with her mere presence. And in that moment, I fell in love. Or lust, take your pick.

You know what I'm talking about, it's not like you've never felt it; a girl who just has to look at you, and you're a puddle of goo on the sidewalk, feeling like you're a teenager again, stumbling over words, clumsy and unsure.

And you remember waking up at some unGodly hour of the night at the tail-end of some nightmare, feverish and sweating, feeling like you're all alone and the world is so big, and the wolves are at your door, but she can make it better. She can kiss it all away.

And you can see the future in every tilt of her head,every fall of her hair, and you think to yourself " I wouldn't mind waking up every day to that face".

And, like you're possessed, your feet start to move of its own volition, and in your head a choir is starting up (complete with violins and rays of light), and your mouth starts to open, and you start to say something. . .

And then Reality kicks in, slapping you upside the head, and you go "what the fuck".

You know this, it happens every day.

Love is the absence of reason, and lust is the absence of rational thought. So what's the difference? As far as I know, there isn't. You start with lust, and end up with love. People who say it's the other way around are all clearly insane (or in love, which is about the same thing, in the end).

And that is a small truth.

No comments: